Komen Columbus Grants $1.4 Million to Local Programs
April 1, 2014
Susan G. Komen Columbus announced today it will grant $1.4 million to fund 21 programs that will provide thousands of women and men with life-saving breast health screening, education and treatment throughout the next year.
“The needs that will be met with these 21 community health programs will fulfill vital needs in the communities they serve” said Katie Carter, executive director of Komen Columbus. “We are proud to partner with these programs that will deliver life-saving breast health services to the uninsured and underinsured in our area.”
In 2013, Komen Columbus funded programs which provided nearly 17,000 women in our 30-county service area with life-saving breast cancer screenings, treatment and education. From the mammograms funded by Komen Columbus last year alone, breast cancer was detected in more than 40 women. Early detection is the key to reducing breast cancer mortality in Ohio- which ranks fourth in the nation in breast cancer mortality. When treated early, the five-year survival rate is 98 percent.
“The financial support from our organization serves as a safety-net for women in our service area, allowing the funded organizations to deliver services to women who would not be able to afford them,” said Julie McMahon, director of mission at Komen Columbus. “At a time when state and federal support for the uninsured and underinsured is being cut and demand for free or low cost breast cancer support is high, we are proud to be a resource that makes an impact and saves lives.”
The Komen Columbus Affiliate raises funds through events like the annual Race for the Cure©.
The following programs have been selected for Komen Columbus funding by an independent grant panel through a competitive application and review process. For directions to any of our Community Grant Recipients, please click here.
Hands of Hope (Southern Ohio Medical Center)
• Serves Scioto County
• Community contact: 740-356-7465
• The Hands of Hope grant will provide services to women who are uninsured and underinsured. The services which are provided include the following: clinical breast exams, screening and diagnostic mammography, ultrasounds, MRI’s, surgical consults, and biopsies. We will also be providing assistance with transportation for mammography and those with a breast cancer diagnosis needing treatment using gas vouchers, and financial support for genetic testing.
• Website: Southern Ohio Medical Center , Facebook:Southern Ohio Medical Center Twitter: @SOMC_Health
The Latina Breast Cancer Project (OhioHealth Research Institute)
• Serves Clark, Delaware, Fairfield, Fayette, Franklin, Knox, Madison, Marion
• Community contact: (614)566-3957, Spanish speaking hotline: (614) 566-3957
• This project connects Latina women to already existing screening services through community educational programs and a telephone hotline service dedicated to linking women to existing breast cancer screening programs. By increasing knowledge of breast cancer and breast cancer screening and providing a one-stop hotline service for free breast cancer screenings, the project increases screening in a population that has more than doubled in the 1990s in Franklin County.
Genesis Breast Health Initiative (Genesis HealthCare System)
• Serves Morgan, Muskingum, Perry and contiguous counties
• Community contact: (740) 455-7648
• Provides free breast screening services, diagnostics and transportation support to women in Morgan, Muskingum, Perry, and contiguous counties targeting women who are uninsured or under-insured and do not have funds to obtain.
• Website: Genesis HealthCare System, Facebook: Gensis HealthCare System, Twitter: @GenesisHCS
“No Excuses” Mobile Mammography Screening Program (The Community Mercy Foundation)
• Serves Clark and Champaign counties
• Community contact: 937-390-5030
• Offers mobile unit mammography screenings and clinical breast exams to underserved women in Clark and Champaign Counties.
• Website: Community Mercy Health Partners, Facebook: Community Mercy Foundation, Twitter: @CommMercyFndtn
Yes Maam! (LifeCare Alliance)
• Serves Franklin, Delaware, Licking and Union counties
• Community contact: 614-437-2839
• “Yes Ma’am!” is a program of LifeCare Alliance’s Columbus Cancer Clinic. The program provides mobile mammography screenings and breast health education with a focus on minority, under- and un-insured women.
• Facebook: LifeCare Alliance, Twitter: @LifeCareAllianc
Healthy Adult Project: Breast Screening Program (Ohio University)
• Serves Athens, Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Noble, Perry, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Vinton and Washington counties
• Community contact: 740-593-2432
• This program provides free clinical breast exams, mammogram vouchers, patient navigation, transportation assistance, and breast health education. Eligible Participants: Uninsured or underinsured women at or below 300% of the poverty level residing in Athens, Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Noble, Perry, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Vinton, and Washington Counties
• Website: Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, Facebook: Ohio Unversity Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
Imaging Outreach: Screening & Diagnostics (OhioHealth Foundation)
• Serves Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Hocking, Knox, Licking, Madison, Marion, Morrow, Perry, Pickaway, Ross, and Union counties
• Community contact: 614-566-5495
• OhioHealth has a nationally renowned and comprehensive Breast Health Program led by a team of breast health experts. The program consists of research and clinical trials; infusion services; radiation oncology; mammography services; wellness programs; genetic counseling; and breast health navigation services. We are a leading provider of mammography and breast health services in the region, performing more than 80,000 mammograms and 2,000 breast cancer procedures annually.
• Website: OhioHealth Foundation, Facebook: OhioHealth, Twitter: @OhioHealth
Mount Carmel Health System Screening, Diagnostics and Treatment (Mount Carmel Health System Foundation)
• Serves Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Licking, Madison and Pickaway counties
• Community contact: 614-546-3407
• Mount Carmel, through its Women’s Health Centers and mobile mammography coach, strives to provide comprehensive breast cancer services to all women. This is done by offering screenings, diagnostic care and lymphedema treatment to women who cannot afford and/or access these services.
• Website: Mount Carmel Foundation, Facebook: Mount Carmel Health, Twitter: @mountcarmel
Fayette County Memorial Hospital Partners in Pink Mammography Program (Fayette County Memorial Foundation)
• Serves Fayette County
• Community contact: (740) 333-2742
• Serves residents of Fayette County & provides: Screening mammograms for uninsured/underinsured women age 40 and over; Diagnostic mammography services to uninsured/underinsured individuals in need of this service regardless of age male or female; Transportation to FCMH for the mammography services as needed; Breast health education emphasis on early detection
• Facebook: Fayette County Memorial Hospital, Twitter: @FayetteCoMemHos
OSUCCC Breast Cancer Screening & Early Detection Program (The Ohio State University, James Cancer Hospital, Diversity Enhancement Program)
• Serves Franklin County
• Community Contact: (614) 293-7020
• Screening mammography, diagnostic mammograms, treatment and transportation assistance for those who qualify. Culturally competent outreach to African American women, patient navigation, screening, diagnostics and transportation assistance for un- and under-insured women. Partners with Komen Community Health Advisors for outreach and connecting women with resources.
Cure Your Fears (Madison County Hospital Foundation)
• Serves Madison County
• Community contact: (740) 845-7884
• Cure Your Fears is a program of the Madison County Hospital Foundation, offering free breast cancer screening and diagnosis, patient navigation and lymphedema therapy.
• Facebook: Madison County Hospital, Twitter: @MadisonCoHosp
Power of Pink (Memorial Hospital of Union County)
• Serves Champaign, Madison and Union counties
• Community contact: (937) 578-2488
• The Power of Pink program provides screening mammograms, diagnostic mammograms and breast ultrasounds for those who are uninsured and underinsured. Educational and supportive resource information provided to breast cancer patients. Financial assistance available for special needs items and assistance with transportation to appointments by way of fuel vouchers.
• Facebook: Memorial Hospital of Union County
Think Pink Program (Meigs County Cancer Initiative)
• Serves Meigs County
• Community contact: (740) 992-3853
• Think Pink funds early detection services including screening and diagnostic Mammograms for medically underserved and financially eligible Meigs County women beginning at age 35. We offer quarterly Women’s Health Days, Breast Health Awareness education, access to mobile Mammography, Clinical Breast Exams, gasoline vouchers and networking to access needed follow-up.
• Facebook: Meigs County Cancer Initiative Twitter: @MeigsMCCI
Together We Can (Ross County Health District)
• Serves Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Pike, Ross, Scioto and Vinton counties
• Community contact: 740-779-0783
• Screening and education services for women 20-64 year olds who are under or uninsured.
• Facebook: Ross County Health District
Project Hoffnung: The Amish and Mennonite Breast Health Project (Center for Appalachia Research in Cancer Education)
• Serves Fairfield, Gallia, Guernsey, Jackson, Knox, Monroe, Morgan, Muskingum, Perry, Pickaway, Pike and Ross counties
• Community contact: 877-463-3686
• Project Hoffnung (or “Hope”) was established in 1997 to address health disparities within Amish communities by understanding knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors surrounding cancer issues. A culturally competent breast health program was developed through a series of focus groups, interviews, and a community-led advisory team.
• Website:OhioHealth Diversity Health Services
No Excuses (Fairfield Medical Center)
• Serves Fairfield, Hocking and Perry counties
• Community contact: (740) 243-8924
• This grant services uninsured or underinsured women in Fairfield, Hocking and Perry Counties in obtaining screening mammograms with a limited number of diagnostic mammograms and ultrasounds.
• Website: Fairfield Medical Center, Facebook: Fairfield Medical Center
Operation Pink Out (Holzer Health System)
• Serves Athens, Gallia, Jackson, Lawrence and Vinton counties
• Outreach focus: Screening, diagnostics, education and outreach to rural and Appalachian un- and under-insured women.
• Community contact: (740) 446-5351
• Free clinical breast exams are provided by health care providers who volunteer their time and mammograms are completed on qualifying underinsured or uninsured women.
• Website: Holzer Health System, Facebook: Holzer Health System
Power Me Pink (Southeastern Ohio Regional Medical Center)
• Serves Monroe, Noble, Guernsey counties
• Community contact: (740) 439-8156
• Free clinical breast exams are provided by health care providers who volunteer their time and mammograms are completed on qualifying low-income or underserved women.
• Website: Southeastern Med, Facebook: Southeastern Ohio Regional Medical Center
Knox Community Hospital (Mother, Daughter, Sisters, Friends Project)
• Serves Knox county
• Community contact: (740) 393-5579
• Offers screening, diagnostics, treatment, patient navigation, education and survivorship support for uninsured or underinsured women.
• Facebook:Knox Community Hospital
Perry County Health Department (Perry County Breast Health Project)
• Serves Perry county
• Community contact: (740) 342-5179
• Free early detection services for women 40 and over who are uninsured or have high deductibles and who have not had a mammogram in the previous year.
• Website: Perry County Health Department, Facebook: Perry County Health Department Twitter: @perryheal
Adena Health System- Cancer Center (A Promise to Keep)
• Serves Athens, Fayette, Gallia, Hocking, Jackson, Pickaway, Pike, Ross, Scioto, Vinton counties
• Community contact: (740) 779-8757
• Education, screening, diagnostics for eligible participants based on U.S. Health and Human Services Federal Poverty Guidelines
• Website: Adena Health System, Facebook: Adena Health System, Twitter: @adenamedical