Susan G. Komen® Invests in the Future of Breast Cancer Research

Susan G. Komen® Invests in the Future of Breast Cancer Research

Ohio Researchers will receive $650,000 in Research Funding

DALLAS, TEXAS – Oct. 1, 2014 – Following through on a commitment to young scientists and clinicians, the Susan G. Komen® organization today announced new grants to more than 50 early-career breast cancer researchers — almost half of Komen’s $34.7 million investment in new breast cancer research funding for 2014.

Komen has invested more than $11 million into research at Ohio institutions, including $650,000 this year to two Ohio institutions.

“Our 2014 grants are intended to ensure continuity in breast cancer research for years to come,” said Komen President and CEO Judith A. Salerno, M.D., M.S.  “With federal research dollars tightening, we’re deeply concerned that a generation of promising breast cancer researchers will be lost to other fields.

“While we fund young researchers, we’re also continuing to grant to established researchers whose work has led to significant progress against this disease,” she said.

Komen is funding nearly $16 million in new grants to early-career researchers – those who are still in training and those at the earliest stages of their research careers. The remaining funds are being granted to leading breast cancer scientists who have already made significant contributions to the field, and to support scientific programs and partnerships that advance Komen’s mission to end breast cancer forever.

Komen is the largest nonprofit funder of breast cancer research, with more than $847 million invested since its founding in 1982. But research is just one aspect of Komen’s mission: since 1982, Komen and its Affiliates have invested more than $1.8 billion in community health outreach and global programs that last year served more than half a million women and men facing breast cancer. More than 80 cents of every dollar Komen spends is devoted to mission programs.

Komen’s Investments in Ohio

Komen’s research program is funded in part by contributions from local Komen Affiliates across the country, which annually contribute 25 percent of net funds raised in their local community to Komen’s research program, with the remaining 75 percent staying in the community to fund community outreach programs.

Since 1993, Susan G. Komen Columbus has funded $16,622,322 to community programs serving local women and men, while contributing $6,473,978 to Komen research. This past year, Komen Columbus granted $1.4 million to 21 breast health programs in central and southeastern Ohio.

“We’re very proud that the funds we’ve raised in central and southeastern Ohio are not only providing real-time help to our neighbors, but coming back to our universities and hospitals for research that can save lives,” said Katie Carter, executive director of Komen Columbus Affiliate.

In Ohio, researchers will receive $650,000 in funding to investigate breast cancer treatment and vaccines.

  • $450,000 in funding to Nicole Steinmetz, Ph.D., of Case Western Reserve University will be used to develop a vaccine intended to prevent HER2-positive breast cancer from occurring in high-risk individuals and reoccurring in those previously diagnosed with HER2-positive disease.
  • $200,000 in continued funding to Komen Scholar Julia White, M.D., of The Ohio State University to develop and test a novel technology approach which would use MRI-guided preoperative partial breast irradiation for early-stage breast cancer patients.

A full list of Komen’s 2014 research grants can be found here. Grants are awarded when agreement is signed with Komen. A complete list of community health programs funded by the Komen Columbus can be found here.

For more information about Susan G. Komen’s overall mission investments, please visit komen.org.

About Susan G. Komen®

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded over $847 million in research and provided $1.8 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Visit komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.

About Susan G. Komen Columbus®

Komen Columbus has raised more than $27 million since it began in 1993 – 75 percent of net funds stays in our 30-county service area and is used to conduct breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs. The other 25 percent goes to Susan G. Komen to fund national breast cancer research programs. Visit komencolumbus.org or call (614) 297-8155. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.