- Community Resources
- About Breast Cancer
- Get Involved
Why Get Involved?
Metastatic breast cancer kills 1700 Ohio women each year. #unacceptable
Join Susan G. Komen Columbus in our Bold Goal: to decrease the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50% in the U.S. by 2026.
Last year, we removed over 10,000 barriers, including outreach to underserved women, over 280 screening events, financial support and patient education and advocacy. This support ensured over 2000 women were navigated to preventive services. We were there to guide and support 456 women from a phone call with scary news a complex experience and stood with 101 women when they heard the words “you have breast cancer”. We need your help to continue these services.
How Your Investment Saves Lives
In addition to 8 Navigation Networks we run, uniting more than 80 community partners across 30 Ohio counties, we are improving access in resource starved areas of southeast and rural Ohio and to eliminate racial disparities in central Ohio. Some of our activiites include:
- Worship in Pink and Know Your Girls peer education and care coordination programs
- 2018 Metastatic Breast Cancer Advocacy Day
- Survivor and patient events
- 2019 Metastatic Breast Cancer Retreats
- Komen Helpline (1-877 GO KOMEN), information on clinical trials and support
- Komen Treatment Assistance Fund (1-877 – GO KOMEN, komencolumbus.org)
- Care Kits for newly diagnosed patients
- 2013: Tax Check-off Bill increased funding for Ohio Breast and Cervical Cancer Program
- 2014: Oral Chemotherapy Parity bill improved insurance coverage for oral chemotherapy
- 2016: Protected Ohio Breast and Cervical Cancer Program and Medicaid Treatment Program from budget cuts
- 2017: Modernized access to Ohio Breast and Cervical Cancer Program
- Over 21 years of community programs and partnerships educating and providing financial support to patients